A week after weathering the impact of severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie, significant progress has been made on returning the critical northern ports of Abbot Point, Mackay and Hay Point to full operations.
Ports Minister Mark Bailey visited Mackay Port today with Member for Mackay Julieanne Gilbert who thanked port workers who had been working tirelessly across the three ports.
“As you would expect, there has been damage from debris and flooding in the ports,” Mr Bailey said.
“But I am extremely impressed with the way NQBP has been working closely with port terminal operators, tenants and service providers to work towards the resumption of safe port operations.”
Mr Bailey said it was fantastic to see the Port of Mackay re-opened for shipping over the weekend, with the first fuel vessel after the cyclone arriving at the harbour on Sunday.
“The Port of Mackay is now fully operational, meaning this critical asset is open for business – from fuel imports to agricultural exports,” Mr Bailey said.
The Port of Abbot Point has been cleared for shipping and vessels have returned to anchorages. The port’s owner and operator Adani will make the decision about when the terminal itself can resume operations.
The historic Bowen Wharf experienced some damage and is closed to the public until repairs can be planned and undertaken.
At the Port of Hay Point, surveys are continuing to check for siltation in shipping channels and berth pockets. It is expected that limited shipping drawing on existing coal stockpiles at the terminals will resume within days using approved, safe channels and berths.