The Queensland Mining Awards have revealed the 2018 cohort of finalists today, with winners announced
in six weeks’ time at the Queensland Mining and Engineering Exhibition in Mackay.
The finalists range from small, locally owned companies like Mackay-based QCCS and HMA Wear Solutions,
to mid-size companies like Coxons Group Australia, large contractors like Downer, McLanahan and Wolff
Mining, and producers Rio Tinto, Anglo American and New Hope Group.
Finalist entries had a focus on productivity increase in common, impressing the judges with their
contribution to the industry and outcomes that could be effectively replicated for success.
The peer-judging panel included open cut, underground and minerals industry leaders across operations,
management, procurement and logistics, such as:
• Peter Kane – Chief Operating Officer, QCoal Group
• Dan Kadziela – Head of Business Development, Minerals Australia, BHP
• Ian Rees – Chief Advisor Integrated Planning, Rio Tinto Aluminium
• Michael Jones – Production Manager, Jellinbah Resources
• Margaret Davies – former Supply Chain Manager, Anglo American
• Suzanne Mitchell – Regional Practice Manager, EconomX