A diversified energy and mining company has confirmed it will retrench several of its staff in southern Queensland.
New Hope Group (NHG) will let go 150 workers at its New Acland Coal (NAC) Mine after the State Government failed to approve a proposed expansion after taking up to 12 years to decide.
The proponent tried to avoid giving so many people the axe before Christmas by repeatedly asking Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk for a face-to-face meeting to discuss outstanding approvals needed for stage three mining leases, an associated water licence and to continue using the Jondaryan Rail Facility.
Industry pleads with authorities to save half of Queensland mine’s workforce
Regulator accused of cowardice for failing to protect jobs at $896M mine expansion
Mine contractors walk off the job multiple times over proposed pay cut
Coal ban bill ‘dangerous’ says mining giant.
September deadline missed
New Hope previously warned the government in June that approvals would be needed by September 1 to avoid the job losses and provide continuity of operations between stages two and three of the project.
“It’s disappointing the premier has again refused to communicate with New Hope Group regarding the fate of 150 Darling Downs workers,” New Hope chief development officer Ben Armitage said in a public statement. “The State Government can absolutely make a decision on NAC Stage 3 at any time … Queenslanders expect its leaders to make decisions, not excuses.”
NAC coal handling and preparation plant manager Andy Scouller revealed the premier told him his “job was a good, decent job.”
“I guess she didn’t mean it,” Scouller said.