Twelve months ago, AusProof launched their new line-up of low voltage cable coupler solutions, the Aluminium Low Voltage Restrained Range. While their Ex-certified stainless steel range is suitable for use in non-Ex environments, AusProof never stops searching for ways to improve and advance their products to meet the needs of their customers. In this instance, two key points AusProof sought to address was the reduction of product weight and costs associated with using an Ex-certified product in a non-Ex environment.
AusProof’s Research and Development team got to work, and in 2022, the Aluminium Low Voltage Restrained Range was released. Specifically designed for use in non-Ex operational sites, including metalliferous mining, open-cut mining, pumps and tunnelling projects, utilising aluminium for body castings instead of stainless steel has resulted in a product range that is significantly lighter while maintaining a number of key features.
With their stainless steel low voltage range known to the industry, AusProof kept the naming conventions of their new product range simple and similar, changing just the first letter from ‘P’ to ‘A’ for aluminium. Categorised as follows:
- AES (Aluminium Extra Small) plugs and receptacles are rated to 60 amps and 90 amps, with current carrying capacities including 660 volts or 1100 volts, and receptacles available with the Jack-In release option
- AS (Aluminium Small) plugs and receptacles are rated to 150 amps, with current carrying capacities including 660 volts or 1100 volts, and receptacles available with the Jack-In, Quick and Ratchet release options
- AL (Aluminium Large) plugs and receptacles are rated at 300 – 425 amps, with current carrying capacities including 660 volts, 1100 volts or 3300 volts, and receptacles available with the Jack-In, Quick and Ratchet release options.
For non-Ex operational sites thinking of transitioning to AusProof’s low voltage aluminium range from their low voltage stainless steel range, the transition does not have to happen all at once.
Plugs and receptacles from AusProof’s aluminium range are compatible with products from the stainless steel range in their matching voltage and amp ratings.
Painted in a stark, bold white to make the Aluminium Restrained Range easily distinguishable from stainless steel products, coloured bands have been used to visually determine the voltage and amp rating of each product. Offering its customers further clarity and peace of mind when identifying each product, AusProof has also added ‘non-Ex’ labels and laser marks to various components.
When comparing the weight difference between plugs and receptacles in the stainless steel and aluminium range:
- the AES plug is 560 grams lighter, with the receptacle at 2.36kg lighter
- the AS plug is 360 grams lighter, with the receptacle at 3.9kg lighter
- the AL plug is 1.04kg lighter, with the receptacle at 4.36kg lighter.
Standard features of the products in this range include easy termination, single piece contacts, phase to earth segregation, and full solid earth connectivity throughout.
Additionally, a durable silicon cover can be purchased for plugs in this range, and an O-ring sealed bung can be purchased for the receptacles. Upholding AusProof’s passion for creating new and innovating existing products in order to continue providing the industry with safe, reliable, and high quality cable coupler solutions, the Aluminium Low Voltage Restrained Range is a lightweight and cost-effective alternative for sites that do not require a flameproof product.
Further information about these products, along with downloadable technical manuals, test reports, and product dimensions, can be found by accessing AusProof’s AES, AS and AL product pages. Alternatively, AusProof’s state sales representatives are available to answer any queries you may have.