Mine Worker Dies From Blood Clot Two Weeks After Incident

In Health & Safety, Latest News
Mine Worker Dies From Blood Clot Two Weeks After Incident

A mine worker from north Queensland has died in hospital  nearly two weeks after being involved in an underground mine incident at Glencore’s Ernest Henry Mine.

According to the North West Star, 46-year-old Jason Braid  died last Friday in the Cairns Base Hospital from complications arising from a blood clot. The incident at the Cloncurry mine occurred on 1 February.

Officials from Ernest Henry Mining (EHM) could not confirm whether the blood clot was caused by the injuries the man sustained in the mining accident.

According to EHM the man has not sustained life-threatening injuries from the incident and had been transferred to Cairns to be closer to his family as he underwent rehabilitation.

A spokesperson from EHM told the North West Star they had expected the man to make a full and complete recovery.

In a statement released yesterday, EHM officials could not confirm if he died as a result of the injuries suffered in the mining incident.

“A valued member of the Ernest Henry Mining team, Mr Jason Braid, aged 46, suddenly passed away Friday afternoon at the Cairns Base Hospital,” the statement says.

“Jason held the position of underground operator at Ernest Henry Mine for the last three years.”

“Jason was involved in an incident underground on 1 February and an investigation into this incident has commenced.”

‘‘Jason had received treatment for his injuries and had moved into the rehabilitation stage of his recovery.’’

Mike Westerman, chief operating officer, North Queensland Copper Assets, Glencore, said Mr Braid’s death was a tragedy.

“We are deeply saddened by this loss and our deepest thoughts and sympathies go out to his family, friends and colleagues,” Mr Westerman said.

You may also read!

RioTinto AutoHaul train

World first $940M mining infrastructure project fully operational

A resources giant celebrating the full operation at its $940 million mining infrastructure project in Western Australia. Rio Tinto

Read More...
Matt Canavan Ian Macfarlane Adani approval

Industry celebrates victory for $21B mine’s final approval

Years of regulatory hurdles have finally come to an end, meaning an Asia-backed $21 billion coal project will be

Read More...

$21B mining project ready to start construction immediately

A foreign-backed $21 billion mining project will begin construction if it receives final approval on June 13. India-headquartered Adani

Read More...

Leave a reply:

Your email address will not be published.

Mobile Sliding Menu