A structural failure ended a resources employee’s life.
Authorities recently investigated how a roof collapse killed a mine worker.
Investigators revealed the incident occurred while a standing roof support (crib) was fitted as part of the longwall recovery cycle. The accident occurred in an “area adjacent to a longwall shield” at an undisclosed operation on 18 March 2023.
The Department of Labor’s Mine Safety and Health Administration made the following recommendations:
- follow the approved roof control plan
- never travel under an unsupported roof
- design, install, and maintain roof support where people work or travel
- be alert to changing roof conditions, especially during longwall recovery
- conduct a visual examination of the roof, face and ribs immediately before starting work.