Civil/Structural Engineer | IO Asset | Port Hedland | 5/2 Roster
Australia – Western Australia
BHP Billiton Iron Ore is one of the world’s leading suppliers of iron ore. The Company’s operations currently involve an integrated system of seven inland mines, more than 1,000 kilometres of rail and two separate port facilities; Nelson Point and Finucane Island at Port Hedland.
Reporting to the Superintendent Governance and Technical Stewardship, within the Port Engineering team your duties will include:
• An overriding commitment to health, safety, environmental responsibility and sustainable development
• Ensuring all engineering projects comply with statutory and BHP Billiton standards
• Providing specialist expertise in structural and civil engineering to ensure that all site works, buildings and other structures are designed and implemented in accordance with BHP Billiton Iron Ore policies, standards and are in accordance with statutory requirements
• Delivering planned outputs that consistently meet or exceed customer expectation and satisfy all cost, time, quality, safety and environmental requirements
• Providing mentorship and contributing to the development of the graduate engineers
• Taking action to rectify problems, either by corrective action or by proposing a solution to the relevant team member
• Actively pursuing and implementing improvements to own work practices and ensuring own skills are upgraded to meet business needs
• Ensuring that knowledge is shared and is part of the deliverables for all jobs
• Developing and maintaining strong relationships with internal and external customers and suppliers, as required
Skills and Experience
As the successful candidate you will possess the following:
• A structural or civil engineering degree acceptable for corporate membership of the Institute of Engineers Australia
• A minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in civil / structural engineering
• Design and field experience with dumping, stacking, reclaiming, conveying, screening and ship-loading equipment
• Strong analytical skills able to be utilised for high level problem solving and sharing of solutions within the department
• Ability to work within a team to achieve outcomes
• Strong communication and relationship building skills
• Ability to incorporate safety into design
• Minimum of C class manual drivers licence
In this residential role you will be based in the coastal town of Port Hedland, Western Australia. Port Hedland is home to our port and rail operations and is the largest regional centre in North West Australia. The 20,000-strong population enjoys well-established education services, entertainment, shopping and medical facilities.
The excellent sporting and leisure facilities include; a new aquatic centre, sports stadium and water play park. Its beaches and mangroves are home to an abundance of fish and other wildlife. Within driving distance are the spectacular Broome, Karratha and Karijini national Park. As this is a residential position you will also be provided accommodation in addition to power and water subsidies.
Remuneration and Benefits
Join us and be rewarded with interesting, challenging work in a supportive team culture. Develop skills for life whilst enjoying access to benefits including: flexible working arrangements, incentive bonus, award winning share scheme, 18 weeks paid maternity leave, education assistance and generous superannuation scheme.
Reference Number – 40281023